Skip to main Content
Click to increase your font size.


Grandmother typing How to Report Abuse, Neglect and Fraud

Each instance of abuse, neglect, exploitation and fraud is complicated and no two situations are identical. Reporting procedures may vary depending on the county or region where you live.
The steps below are meant to be a guide through the reporting process for both victims and those who suspect that a friend or loved one might be a victim. If you are unsure about reporting an incident or which type of abuse is present, you can find more information about the varying signs of abuse by clicking here.

  1.  Collect contact information of possible victim, including name, address and phone number.
  2. Prepare a list of concerns
  3. See below for steps for reporting abuse/neglect
  4. Click here for reporting fraud

Where does the possible victim live?

    Nursing Home or Long-Term Care Facility:

  • To report patient abuse or neglect to the Ohio Attorney General, click here.
  • To file a complaint to the Ohio Department of Health, call 1-800-342-0553.
    • To learn more about how the Ohio Department of Health defines abuse, neglect and misappropriation, click here.
    • To learn more about Ohio Department of Health regulations regarding Residential Care Facilities/Assisted Living, click here.
    • To learn more about Ohio Department of Health regulations regarding Nursing Homes/Facilities, click here.
  • To ensure your voice is heard and to seek advocacy support from the State Long-Term Care Ombudsman, click here to find the program that serves your area. Please do not hesitate to call, Ombudsman programs are often one of the most effective resources available to patients.
  • Ohio Revised Code outlines laws pertaining to Patient Abuse in ORC 2903.34.

    Independent Living Arrangement:

  • This includes private home, apartment, trailer or rooming house.
  • To find your local Adult Protective Services (APS) to report abuse, neglect, or exploitation, click here, or call their free hotline at 1-855-OHIO-APS (855-644-6277)
  • More information about Adult Protective Services, click here.
  • Individuals must be over the age of 60 and have some sort of health issue of disability.

Reporting Alternatives:

  • If the adult in question does not meet the handicapped qualification and is suspected to be the victim of abuse or neglect, please click here to read more about domestic violence and the law. To locate a domestic violence program or shelter, click here for Ohio Domestic Violence Network’s updated list of shelters.
  • If the adult is not over the age of 60, but do meet the handicapped qualification due to a developmental disability the Department of Developmental Disabilities (DODD) may be able to help. For a list of phone numbers by county and online reporting, please click here.
  • If the individual is suffering from mental health issues or addiction they can find help at the Ohio Department of Mental Health & Addiction Services. Click here to go to their website or call their toll-free hotline at  1-877-275-6364.
    • For a list of addition service by county, please click here.
    • For a list of mental health services by county, please click here.