Skip to main Content
Click to increase your font size.

Contacting Adult Protective Services

Adult Protective Services

Adult Protective Services (APS) works to protect adults 60 years of age and older within Ohio who are handicapped by the infirmities of aging or who have a physical or mental impairment preventing them from providing their own care or protection and are suspected to be a victim of abuse, neglect, self-neglect and/or financial exploitation (Ohio Revised Code 5101.60-5101.71). Those believed to be in an abusive or exploitative situation must also be living in an independent living arrangement – a private home, apartment, trailer, rooming house, or adult care facility (as defined in Chapter 3722 of the ORC).

To find your local Adult Protective Service office (APS), please click on the map. Just make the call and the local APS staff will gladly assist you or direct you to someone else who can provide better help.

When you make the call, you will be asked for your name and phone number, but anonymous reports are accepted. You will then be asked for the name, address and phone number of the person who is, or who you think might be, a victim of abuse, neglect or exploitation. You will also be asked why you think the older adult is at risk.

What Happens Next?

A social services worker will make a face-to-face home visit to investigate the concern.
If there is a need for protective services, an Adult Protective Services representative will work with the adult victim and family, friends, volunteers and professionals to assist the adult and to reduce or eliminate the danger.
If the adult victim is mentally clear and alert and understands the risks, he/she will be encouraged to accept the care or services offered by the Department of Job and Family Services or APS. The victim and/or family or friends may also receive referrals to other community services. Whenever possible, APS staff will help the adult to remain in his/her home or community. Some adults might refuse help. Legally, services cannot be forced on an adult, except as specified by law. When a legal intervention is needed, such as guardianship, it is because an evaluation has determined that the person is no longer capable of making reasonable decisions on his/her own behalf. Legal action is taken only after exploring all other appropriate solutions. In some cases, the harm done by the caregiver is not intentional and is due to exhaustion or lack of help and APS will offer the appropriate relief and support. However, in many situations, the harm being inflicted is a crime, in which case law enforcement referrals and crime victims services may be needed.